Watch highlights here:

Stellenbosch vs Kaizer Chiefs | MTN8 Highlights

Itumeleng Khune was the hero as Kaizer Chiefs defeated Stellenbosch FC on penalties to advance to the MTN8 semi-finals.

Goalkeeper Itumeleng Khune made his first start for the Soweto giants in just over a year alongside recalls for Sifiso Hlanti, Ashley Du Preez and George Matlou.

The visitors saw a lot of the ball in the opening exchanges but Stellies had the first chance on 12 minutes from a counter-attack attack after Junior Mendieta went through on goal but he scuffed his shot wide with only Khune to beat.

However, the game was on the balance after that as just before the half-hour mark Sihle Nduli came very close to breaking the deadlock for Steve Barker’s charges with a free header that came off the upright from a set-piece.

Arthur Zwane’s troops had good combinations building from the back but they could not create clear-cut opportunities in the last third, with Only Du Preez and Keagan Dolly trying their luck in anger, none of which tested goalkeeper Lee Langevelt.

Chiefs had a horrible start in the second stanza as Njabulo Ngcobo was dispossessed by Jayden Adams, who went through on goal and played a square pass for Nduli to score into an open net.

However, another error at the back by Stellies just before the hour-mark led to an equliser for Amakhosi after Du Preez intercepted a back pass by Oswin Andries and poked the ball past the on-rushing Langeveldt.

Chiefs had more confidence going forward after that but they could not turn around the Stellies defence and there were changes from both sides in the closing stages, as William Likuta replaced Antonio Van Wyk for the hosts and Zwane brought on Nkosingiphile Ngcobo for Matlou.

Barker’s men were threatening on set-pieces as Nduli almost snatched the winner in the last nine with a header at the near post that came that bounced off the top of the crossbar.

The game was on the edge in the dying minutes and there was controversy in stoppage time after the referee initially awarded Stellenbosch a penalty for an apparent handbal in the box but he reversed his decision after consultation with his assistant.

The sides then went to extra-time after they were level pegging 1-1 in regulation time.

Cole Alexander came close to making it 2-1 for the visitors ten minutes in with a free header from close-range that produced a great reflex from Langeveldt.

Chiefs won the penalty shoot-out 4-3 after Khune made two saves, keeping out the last kick from Likuta following a successful spot-kick by Phathutshedzo Nange and the Soweto giants progressed to the semi-finals.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *