Percy Tau has not parted ways with Al Ahly, sources within the club have told iDiski Times.

Earlier on Tuesday, a report by SuperSport had stated that Al Ahly had officially parted ways with Percy Tau, despite the South African winger still having a contract until 2024.

The report understandably sent shock waves through the South African football fraternity and also reached publications in Egypt as well as Al Ahly themselves.

However, this publication has since learnt that the information published is not correct – at least not for now.

“We spoke to club officials and they confirmed that it was incorrect information,” a member of Al Ahly media told iDiski Times.

Egyptian publications, Koraplus and Yallakora also cited sources within the club, who have denied Tau’s departure.

“Everything that has been reported during the past hours is not true, and the player is on the strength of the team so far,” Yallakora quoted their source from within the club.

“How can he break his contract? There are offers, but they are just verbal conversations. He is a player with us so far.

“If an [official] offer comes, we will discuss with the club’s management and the football company to resolve the situation, but so far, all are inquiries from companies, marketing and agents’ words only.”

The 28-year-old joined Al Ahly from Brighton & Hove Albion on 26 August last year and has made 31 appearances for the club, scoring eight goals and assisting six more.

However, there have been rumours about Tau’s potential departure after South African coach Pitso Mosimane left Al Ahly following the CAF Champions League final.

In addition, Al Ahly’s leadership are said to be concerned over Tau’s continuous injury problems.

For now, though, it seems that reports of an “official departure” are a bit premature.


0 Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *